The beautiful Olivia Thirlby
Spicy Shrimp Toast
Serves 8 to 10
½ inch piece ginger, peeled
2 garlic cloves
1/2 lb tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup water chestnuts
1 egg white
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 loaf sourdough bread, crusts removed and cut into 1 inch squares
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1. Place ginger and garlic in a food processor and pulse 6 times.
2. Scrape down sides of bowl and add remaining shrimp paste ingredients. Pulse an additional 8 to 10 times (or until you have a paste consistency that still has some texture).
3. Spread 1 tablespoon of mixture onto each square of bread and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Repeat until all bread squares have been smeared with shrimp paste.
4. Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium-high heat.
5. Carefully place triangles of bread (in batches), shrimp-side down and fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Flip nuggets over and fry for an additional 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and lightly season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Source: Spoon Fork Bacon